Driving time from the San Francisco Bay Area is five or six hours of spectacular scenery through Sonoma, Mendocino and Humboldt Counties. Drive time from Portland is seven hours. The Eureka/Arcata airport is located in the town of McKinleyville, 16 miles north of Eureka. AMTRAK Motorcoach runs from Martinez in the San Francisco Bay area to Humboldt County.
- From the South, Mendocino County starts just past Sonoma County, approximately 90 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. You can access it from Highway 101, or historic Highway 1.
- From the East, drive through beautiful Lake County on Highway 20 to 101.
- From the North, Mendocino County starts just below the “Avenue of the Giants” south of Garberville.
- From the Sacramento Area and Upper and Central Valleys…
- From Interstate 5 at Williams travel west onto Highway 20 (the Tahoe-Pacific Heritage Corridor). The drive from Sacramento is just over 100 miles and takes about two hours.
Del Norte County
- Del Norte County is the most northwest county of California and sits on the Pacific Ocean between the Oregon border and Humboldt County along US Highways 101 and 199.
- Daily flights from San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland, and Arcata operated by Sky West, operated under United Airlines. View the Airport Location Map.